For Federal, State-wide, State-District or Legislative races, the Write-In Declaration of Intent must be submitted to the county election administrator office by 5:00 p.m. and no later than 55 days prior to the election.
For Local Government races, (13-1-403(1)(2), MCA) the Write-In Declaration of Intent must be submitted to the county election administrator office by 5:00 p.m. and no later than 65 days prior to the election.
Use of pre-printed labels:
- Pre-printed labels are not prohibited by law.
- A candidate is advised to check with the local election administrator regarding use of pre-printed labels.
- If a county uses vote tabulating equipment, the use of pre-printed labels may not be advisable based on the manufacturer’s caution, and experience of election administrators:
- Stickers can degrade the performance of the tabulators depending on:
- type of label used
- tabulators involved
- the way the labels are applied
- number of voters that use the labels
- To write in a name, voters are instructed to blacken the oval to the left of the line provided, and write in the name (or affix a pre-printed label) in the blank space(s) for the write-in candidate(s) for whom the voter wishes to vote.
According to Election Systems and Software, manufacturer of tabulating equipment used in most Montana counties, “despite the consequences involved, stickers have been used successfully in the past, and are not uncommon.” To minimize any potential problems or disruptions, ES&S has published guidelines for use of labels.